Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Remembering Thomas, Vin and Olivia



Hey Dude, I fondly reflect on the passing of our beloved cat Thomas, the great Vin Scully, and the luminous Olivia Newton-John. I also find time to whine about not making it on the radio.

QUOTE: "A tear welled up in his left eye."

AUDIO LINK

PEOPLE: Zane Grey, Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Adolfo Guzman-Lopez, Jake Downey, John Rabe, John Doe, Petros Papadakis, Olivia Newton-John, John Travolta, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Farrah Fawcett

PLACES: Zane Grey Estate, Altadena, Burbank, Los Angeles, America, Dodger Stadium, Iowa, Pasadena City College

RADIO/PODCASTS: KPCC, All Things Considered, Morning Edition, NPR, Radio, LAist Studios, Imperfect Paradise, Off-Ramp

THINGS: Thomas (The Cat), pandemic, MLB All-Star Game, Facebook, Twitter, Dodgers, Lakers, Grease, If Not For You

SOUNDS: footsteps, gravel path, cars, train, Laguna Sawdust Cowbell Chimes

GENRE: storytelling, personal narrative, personal journal

PHOTO: "Thomas' Last Day in the Garden" by Marisol on her iPhone XS

RECORDED: August 9, 2022 from the "Wawona Lawn" under the flight path of the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, California

GEAR: Sony ICD PX370 digital voice recorder and Sony ECM CS3 "tie-clip" microphone.

HYPE: "It's a beatnik kinda literary thing in a podcast cloak of darkness." Timothy Kimo Brien (cohost on Podwrecked and host of Create Art Podcast)

DISCLAIMER/WARNING: Proudly presented rough, raw and ragged. Seasoned with salty language and ideas. Not for most people's taste. Please be advised.

1 comment:

Harold said...

Vin is missed. What a storyteller he was!

We (my girlfriend and I) have a cat that is beginning to slow down. This was my girlfriend’s cat (originally); she came into my life with two. I’d never had a cat before, always considered myself a dog person. But over the past several years I’ve grown really fond of them.

When I lived out in Westwood and then West L.A. I felt really connected to KCRW. Now that I’m living in Duarte KPCC has become my go-to. It started because I wasn’t getting good reception of KCRW but I also feel connected because it was the first community college I spent a lot of time at (though I’ve taken classes through SMC Online for several years now). Also jump to Pacifica radio sometimes but sometimes things get a bit out there nearly as much as Coast to Coast AM… Ah, Petros and Money, I listen to them too! Petros comes across as a goofball but has great deal of wit! Plus he has great taste in music. I just think he overdoes it with the toilet humor sometimes…but then again I’m guilty of that myself.

Okay, I didn’t expect to write a book here, just wanted to check in and say hello after listening to this episode of your podcast.